Who should I see?

We try to keep our GP appointments for patients with more serious health problems. Before you book an appointment to see a doctor, please consider if an appointment with the practice nurse, physio or community pharmacist might be more appropriate. These groups of qualified clinicians can help you with a wide range of medical problems.

Please remember that self care for common conditions can help free up our GP’s time, making it easier to get an appointment when you have a more serious condition.

Your best interest is always our top priority and our staff are trained in pointing you in the direction of the most suitable specialist clinician.

You can find out more information about the types of services Hathaway offer here

Self Care

to treat yourself at home for the following conditions, Visit the NHS website that is linked here: Visit The NHS Website

  • Back pain
  • Dermatitis
  • Heartburn and indigestion
  • Nasal congestion (blocked nose)
  • Constipation
  • Migraines
  • Coughs
  • Acne
  • Sprains and strains

For urgent eye issues, please contact CUES (Community Urgent Eyecare Services) free of charge on 03003034922 Monday to Saturday 9am – 5pm.

Which optical practices provide CUES? Find a practice

Visit the Pharmacy

Pharmacists are highly trained health professionals and can give you confidential health advice for a range of common illnesses and complaints.

Don’t wait for a GP appointment for coughs, colds, aches and pains. Just give your local pharmacy a call or drop in – there’s no need to make an appointment.

Your pharmacists can also help you decide if you need to see a doctor or nurse.

Minor injuries unit (MIU)

For minor injuries (not illness) such as sprains, strains, sports injury’s etc.  Go to Chippenham Hospital walk in service which is open from 8am-8pm all year round. Please note that they do not treat under 1’s at this site.


A&E is for life-threatening accidents and emergencies only. Before you go there, ask yourself, “Is it a real emergency?” You can also use the NHS 111 service to determine if the condition is A&E appropriate

The nearest A & E is Royal United Hospital, Bath

NHS 111

111 is the free NHS non-emergency number.

You should use the NHS 111 service if you urgently need medical help or advice but it’s not a life-threatening situation.

Call 111 if:

  • you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergency
  • you think you need to go to A&E or need another NHS urgent care service
  • you don’t know who to call or you don’t have a GP to call
  • you need health information or reassurance about what to do next

Click here to go to the NHS 111 online service

Call 999 in an EMERGENCY

Chest pains and / or shortness of breath constitute an emergency

Date published: 17th February, 2017
Date last updated: 23rd May, 2024